Serving the Community as the Spirit Leads:
Ways to Help at Christmas
by Steve Dunn
Churches generally plan some special project like Operation Christmas Box which sends gifts to children in other countries that are delivered by indigenous churches trying to establish a year round relationship. But here some other things that the Spirit is often up to that we might do well to cooperate with:
/1. Visit a local bus station or airport in the wee hours of the morning to offer a cup of coffee or a listening ear or some other kindness to people who are stuck there in transit.
2. Take a turn working the Salvation Army Kettles.
3. Volunteer to relieve the staff for a few hours at the local homeless shelter.
4. Go door to door in the neighborhood around your church to see if anyone is going to be alone for Christmas and then invite them into your home.
5. Find a nearby church that is smaller than you and volunteer to staff their nursery for the Christmas Eve Service.
6. Gather the kids and Christmas carol in the veteran’s hospital or group homes for mentally handicapped. (Bring cookies.)
7. Do number 4 but this time offer to pray.